From Bethel... To Theatre A potted history
'The Bethel' opened in February 1899 as the Seamen’s and Fishermen’s Bethel after previously being in Commercial Road since 1864. The building closed around 2008 and was sold by the British International Sailors' Society to The Lowestoft Players as a headquarters with lots of potential.
During 2012 The Players launched an extensive programme of fundraising with the intention of converting the large rehearsal hall into a performance space. Following months of hard work, a building programme that included new toilet facilities and a licensed bar, the first stage of an ambitious project was realised.
In December 2012 the newly transformed 200 seater 'Players Theatre' opened to the general public with a 10 performance run of 'A Christmas Spectacular!'
The future will see The Players continue to perform their large scale pantomime productions at the Marina Theatre and see the Players Theatre, at the historic Bethel, as an additional complimentary venue which will allow the Players to stage a number of exciting smaller productions that would not normally be viable to the town's larger 700 seater venue.
Fundraising and maintenance work continues constantly to ensure this precious buildings future.